Saturday, 11 August 2012

Earth Wonders Interview... Katie @ Runner Girl 44's


camera: Nikon D7000
lenses: 10-20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm macro, and sometimes my 70-300 mm. I also use my iPhone in a pinch.
blog: These Are The Days
shop: Kate Austin Photography

Katie is the most active member of the Earth Wonders flickr group. every Saturday I'll feature one of the members to know who's behind the camera on the group. this is the second of many interesting interviews ;) these are some of the photos Katie added to the group. enjoy :)

Tuesday Evening Elderly Face The Making of Queen Anne's Lace

when did you first picked up a camera, and what kind was it?
Geeze, the first time I picked up a camera was when I was 11, and it was a Kodak Instamatic, given to me for Christmas the year we left for England to live for 9 months. I shot like crazy for a few years, then Life kinda got in the way, and I set photography aside to focus on college, new husband (we've been married for 23 years and we're still going strong) and kids (18 yrs. and 12 yrs. old, daughter and son). Even though I wasn't shooting as much, I was still very much intrigued by the art of taking photos. Last year, my husband alerted me to a project that he thought might interest me: a 365 project put on by Lisa Bettany (mostlylisa.com). I was hooked, and now photography ranks right up there as "therapy" for me just like running does (I'm also an avid runner of 28 years).

what is your favorite time of day?
Actually, I have two. I love the morning for the energy it puts out. That's when I run, answer e-mails and am the most productive. I also love evening for the light (that's when I do most of my shooting) and for the connection I feel to Nature. I like being alone when I set out to photograph for that very reason: evening time is almost spiritual to me and I like to wrap myself up in it.

if you were a song, which song would you be?
"Day By Day" from the musical, "Godspell".

if you could be a flower, what flower would you be?
Sunflower.

what is your favorite subject and why?
Literature and Writing. Words have always been my first love, reading them and writing them down. For as long as I can remember, I have kept journals and diaries of some sort and filled them with anything and everything. And books, well, that's a no brainer: they really do take you to other worlds. ;)

what is your favorite season and why?
Spring. Because it comes after cold, dreary, monochromatic Winter. I love color and having the windows open, so Spring is hands down my favorite season.

if you could what advice would you give to yourself ten years ago?
I would tell myself that I really am stronger than I think. My little family weathered back-to-back tragedies that I thought I'd never make it through, roughly 10 years ago. I made it to the other side in one piece, a different person, but a more peaceful, mature person. And with the sense that I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

do you have a motto that you live by?
My motto was provided by our son, Joey, when he was just 5 years old: "I'm small, but mighty!" He's now 12 and taller than me, but I think those words pretty much are the best words anyone can live by! :)

Thank you, Ana, for this opportunity and for asking me these questions. They really made me stop and think about my life!
I'm the one who is grateful sweet Katie, I feel blessed by all the beauty that you share with us.

Welcome to the Emerald City Daisy Days Wishing Days Are Here Again Tonight's Sunset
My Favorite Tree Bluebells and Raindrops Pear blossoms! Overnight
Savor The Beginning . . . Tuesday Evening Happy May 1st!

3 comments:

Nancy Claeys said...

She's a talented photographer. Thanks for sharing her story. :)

Ana Eugénio said...

I love her motto :)

Zena said...

Fantastic interview, thanks for sharing